In 1952 the urgent need for a Catholic School in Rivervale was answered by the Sisters of Mercy, they commenced teaching forty children from Junior School to Year 3.
The Presentation Sisters were approached in 1956 and agreed to staff the school to Year 7 (boys to Year 4). In this same year construction began on the ground floor of the present brick building and the second storey was added in 1959 to cater for a Girls’ Junior High School. The first School Board and Parents & Friends’ Association was formed in 1969.
1972 saw the school revert to a Primary School with girls to Year 7 and boys to Year 5. In 1974 the school became fully co-educational.
In 1977, construction of the new administration, staff area and classroom was completed. The first Pre-Primary class was inaugurated in an adjacent renovated house. In this same year, the first refugee students from Vietnam were enrolled into the school.
In 1985 the building containing the Library, ESL classroom, Canteen and under croft was completed.
In 2004 Mr Art Lombardi, was appointed as the first Lay Principal after 52 years of leadership by religious orders.
In 2005 a building project encompassing an Undercover Area, Multipurpose Room, renovated Library, Canteen and stairwell was completed.
In 2009 the school received funding for two Commonwealth Government building initiatives. The Pride in Australian School Project enabled the refurbishment of the Administration area, and improvements made to establish an Art room and a Multi-purpose room.
The P21-Building the Education Revolution program saw the construction of the Multipurpose Hall. This has provided a valued space for play, assemblies, concerts and for physical education activities area.
In 2012 Ms Jonnine Lamborne was appointed Principal, the 60th year anniversary of the school. Approximately 150 guests joined with the school community to celebrate this wonderful milestone. Tributes were presented to the Mercy and Presentation Sisters, past staff and students.
Children’s toilet renovations, renovations to the Pre-Primary and Kindergarten took place in 2013. The Teacher resource room was furnished.
The Staff and School Board look forward to continuing to make improvements across the school to ensure the best possible earning environment for the students.
Today with enrolments up to 240 students, the school is well equipped to confidently participate in the exciting world of providing a rigorous and nurturing Catholic education.
We fondly remember the past, we celebrate the present and we continue to look forward to the future of St Augustine Primary School.