St Augustine Parish
The land that now accommodates St Augustine Church and Primary School was purchased in 1937 and in 1940; His Grace Archbishop Prendiville constituted the Parish of Belmont incorporating the area of Rivervale.
The early years saw Sunday Mass celebrated in a classroom of the State School in Surrey Road. Not surprisingly, the parishioners were keen to build their own church. However under National Security Regulations instituted at the commencement of the World War II, only ‘essential buildings’ could be built, and so it was not until October 1945 that a nissan hut was purchased by Fr. Jim Ahern (first Parish Priest of Belmont) as a temporary church.
In 1953 Rivervale was constituted as a separate parish. Fr. Frank Regan (the first Rivervale parish priest) and the parishioners commenced planning for the construction of a new church and presbytery. In 1955 they took the bold step of borrowing 15,000 pounds to commence the building we see today. The vision and courage of those church leaders has served the parishioners of Rivervale well in the ensuing 60 years.